Saturday 6 December 2014

The Hell of a Coincidence involving Gas Huffer, Hairy Mary's, FTWCo and Sideburn 19

The other day I pulled some records off the shelf and played them for the first time in about 18 years. One was by Gas Huffer. I bought it from Bad Records in Leeds on 24 September 1994, 20 years ago. I know that because I always used to save the receipts and slip them into the plastic, protective sleeve I'd always buy at the same time I bought a new LP. Yes, quite the nerd.
Anyway, this Gas Huffer LP, One Inch Masters, on Epitaph, came with a free comic. In the comic the band go to Des Moines and play a gig at a club called Hairy Mary's. Back then, 1994, I didn't know how to pronounce Des Moines (it's Duh Moyne, by the way), but might've known it was in Iowa. I sure as shit didn't know Hairy Mary's was a real place.
Jump forward 20 years and the manager of Hairy Mary's (at the time Gas Huffer played there, and featured it in their comic), was Jeff Wright. Jeff Wright, the man behind Church of Choppers and co-founder of FTWCo. Jeff Wright who is interviewed by Ryan Quickfall for the current issue, Sideburn 19.
I keep having very weird coincidences. Am I a witch? G

7 comments:

dave said...

you'll have to weigh yourself next to a duck, and if you're there or thereabouts the same weight, you'll know that you'll float, like the duck, and also like wood, hence you'll burn, like wood, thus be a witch...only way to be sure.
I loved Gas Huffer for years before ever actually hearing them due to a rad advert (radvert) they had in the 1st copy of Thrasher I ever got.
Nice serendipitousness.

747 said...

Birds of a feather flock together

Kirk said...

I've seen GI, he looks about duck weight but my cows didn't give sour milk while he was in town so I'm not sure.If he was a witch it'd be more like one of the ones on Bewitched than a Hammer Horror style. Bifurbicated winkie might be the give away.....

McQmoto said...

One of the privileges of being a dad is that you get to inflict the music of your own youth upon your kids - and it's always way better than whatever they may listen to otherwise. If your kids enjoyed the album as much as you did, then there is still some hope for civilisation.

rustyli150 said...

BAD - 1st stop after getting off the train in Leeds. I look at the uber-developed Leeds today and think it was better 20 years ago when most of Boar Lane was squats

Hairy Larry said...

I'm thinking Oily Rob is the time traveling Warlock...since he appears in the video...kept expecting a motorized pie to come lumbering across the stage...

CHVRCH said...

Nice. I not only managed Hairy Marys, but built it from the ground up (like a chopper), bar-tended, and booked all the bands. 20 years of my life was to making bands & customers happy. My motorcycle was always parked out front. Cheers!